The Language Lab
"The problem of violence is inextricably linked to the problem of representation." | Dr Linda Coates & Dr Allan Wade
The Language Lab provides information on the role of language in representing violence and abuse, and tools to help us use language to more accurately represent violence and other adversities. It recognises that language can be used in restrictive or liberating ways to:
- conceal or reveal violence
- obscure or reveal offender responsibility
- conceal or reveal responses and resistance; and
- blame or contest the blaming of, victims (1).
Language Lab Resources and Tools
Example of the ideas applied
In the Media
1. Dr Linda Coates and Dr Allan Wade (2007), 'Language and Violence: Analysis of Four Discursive Operations', Journal of Family Violence, 22:511-522.