About Follow My Lead
Follow My Lead speaks from the voices of people with lived experience of Domestic and Family Violence (DFV) who need the professionals and their social networks to be more prepared to respond effectively. More prepared to respond in ways that uphold dignity and build on safety.
Being safe is no simple or single decision, or task. When we (any person responding to someone experiencing DFV) are ‘aware’ of DFV but don’t have an understanding of it our responses can be unhelpful and worse, harmful.
Many publications and resources speak about DFV and about the people who experience it. Few publications and resources speak from the first person voice of people with lived experience, outlining what being safe to talk to means, and how significant responses are.
Follow My Lead is designed to not only build on awareness of what DFV is, it is also designed to build understanding of lived experience. We hope that ‘Follow My Lead’ will contribute to more positive social and service responses to people experiencing DFV.
Follow My Lead was informed by the ‘Concepts of Safety’ project. In early 2018 Follow My Lead was circulated in prototype for feedback across contexts. The feedback has been collated into a Follow My Lead – Feedback Summary Report. The report includes the feedback that has been provided by individuals, including people with lived experience of DFV, and how this feedback has informed the content and format of the first edition.
Information about the first edition of Follow My Lead.
Acknowledgement and thanks:
Domestic Violence Service Management would like to thank all contributors, critical friends and communities, who have engaged directly or indirectly with our Concepts of Safety Project and this Follow My Lead resource. In particular, Sightlines, the Professional Services of DVSM would like to thank Dr Linda Coates and Dr Allan Wade and their colleagues at the Centre for Response-Based Practice, Canada for their visionary and pioneering work on social responses, resistance, language, and the upholding of dignity.
Most significantly, our thanks goes to all people with lived experience of Domestic and Family Violence who have courageously shared their insights for the benefit of others.
Follow My Lead is free in PDF format and can be shared electronically immediately without barriers or seeking permission.
[table id=4 /]
Customise your copy of Follow My Lead
Do you want to tailor the look and feel of one of these designs and add your logo?
Organisations, institutes or communities may wish to adjust the colours in any one of the existing designs and add their logo to the back cover to increase the reach and influence in distribution.
What can and can’t be changed in the design?
The following components can be changed following your application:
- Style of front and back cover
- Use of your organisations colour, design and layout of each page from any of the design options available
- Inserting your logo on the back cover (next to your logo will say the organisation name as ‘Distribution Sponsor XXXX’).
The following components cannot be changed:
- Additional text or changes to text or text order (throughout including front and back cover)
- Allocation of text per page (text is deliberately grouped with intentional page breaks)
- Concentric map of complexity
- Acknowledgement, thanks and copyright as well as hyperlink to Insight Exchange (in back cover).
Under no circumstances can a purchase fee be applied to Follow My Lead as this resource has been designed to be free for any reader.
To apply for either or both of these options simply complete an application form.
- After receiving your application we can support you with these steps at no cost.
- You will be asked to select your choices the design options available and supply your logo.
- We will make the design into a PDF, sending you a copy and hosting a copy on Insight exchange for the benefit of others and share your social action.
- We do not cover the costs or manage the logistics for print copies, however the design is provided in print ready format if you wish to distribute your design in print.
If you have a question about Follow My Lead contact us